Treat yourself to something different! The pumpkin lends an earthy, slightly sweet flavor to this chili, balanced by the warmth of hot red pepper and spices. Although the list of ingredients looks long, you will be surprised at how quickly this chili comes together. And it feeds a crowd!
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 large onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed & drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed & drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can Great Northern beans, rinsed & drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans petite diced tomatoes
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 2 cups fresh pumpkin puree, or 1 (15 ounce) can
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Naturally flavored Hot Red Pepper Olive Oil from The Olive Orchard
In a large dutch oven, cook and crumble the beef until no longer pink. Drain. Stir in 1 tablespoon Hot Red Pepper Olive Oil, red pepper flakes, garlic, onion and bell peppers; continue cooking until the beef has browned and the onion is translucent.
Add the beans, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes and pumpkin puree. Season with pumpkin pie spice, chili powder and salt. Cover and simmer for 30 to 45 minutes.
To serve, top with a drizzle of Hot Red Pepper Olive Oil and any of the following: cilantro, cheese, sour cream, lime wedges, tortilla chips. For an extra layer of pumpkin flavor, serve with pumpkin sour cream (mix 1/4 cup pumpkin puree with 1/2 cup sour cream, add salt to taste and chill).
If desired, ground turkey may be substituted for the beef. For a vegetarian version, omit the meat and add extra beans or veggies.