I fell in love with The Olive Orchard‘s olive oils and subsequently my mom, who lives in Maryland, got hooked via your Flavored Olive Oil Samplers. I came across this pound cake recipe from the Food Network and I couldn’t help but try it with your Orange Olive Oil (replacing 1 stick of the butter in the original recipe). I made it for family during the Christmas holiday and then for a friend. The cake was divine, incredibly moist with a phenomenal orange flavor. A definite must try that will become a staple. Hope you enjoy!
- 1-1/2 cups cake flour (not all purpose flour)
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup butter (1/2 stick), room temperature
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon freshly flavored Orange Olive Oil from The Olive Orchard
- 1-1/2 cups whole milk ricotta cheese, preferably at room temperature
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs, preferably at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 orange, zested
- 2 tablespoons Amaretto (or 1 teaspoon almond extract)
- Powdered sugar, for dusting
Preheat oven to 350. Grease a 9 x 5 x 3 loaf pan. Grab a ruler if necessary; the batter may overflow in anything smaller. Alternatively, try using a bundt pan. Next, stir together the cake flour (not all purpose flour), baking powder and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
Cream together the Orange Olive Oil, butter, ricotta, and sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Whisk in the eggs 1 at a time. Add the vanilla, orange zest, and Amaretto until combined.
Add the dry ingredients, a small amount at a time, until just incorporated. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and bake until a toothpick comes out clean and the cake is beginning to pull away from the sides of the pan, about 50 minutes. Test with a toothpick; cover with foil if it needs more baking time but is already browned.
Let the cake cool in the pan for 10 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Finally, dust the cooled cake with powdered sugar. If desired, serve with fresh fruit or ice cream.